This is a narrative about a small university in Kodai, CA. There are several colleges in the university. Each college has a name, location, and size. A college offers many courses over four college terms or quarters – Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer – during which one or more of these courses are offered. Course#, Name, and credit hours describe a course. No two courses in any college have the same Course#; likewise, no two courses have the same Name. Terms are identified by year and quarter and contain numbers. Courses are offered during every term. The college also has several instructors. Instructors teach; that is why they are called instructors. Often, not all instructors are scheduled to teach during all terms; but every term has some instructors teaching. Also, the same course is never taught by more than one instructor in a specific term. Further, instructors are capable of teaching a variety of courses offered by the college. Instructors have a unique employee ID and their name, qualification, and experience are also recorded.
1. List the business rules explicitly stated and implicitly indicated in the narrative.
2. Study the narrative carefully and identify the missing information required for developing a semantically complete conceptual data model?
a. Extracted business rules:
• There are four quarters; specifically, they are Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer.
• A college offers many courses.
• At least 23 courses are offered during every quarter.
• A college has several instructors.
• An instructor need not teach in a given quarter.
• An instructor is capable of teaching a variety of courses offered by the college.
Inferred business rules:
• An instructor must teach in some quarter.
• An instructor must be capable of teaching at least one course that the college offers.
b. Ambiguities that require clarification:
• Is a particular course offered in more than one quarter?
• Are there courses that are just in the books but are never offered?
• Can an instructor teach for more than one college in the university?